Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Toronto pastry chef Anna Olsen includes this in her own Christmas Eve traditions! I like it because its actually a "double duty" recipe ........ I used half the banana bread on its own, then used the other half to make half the bread pudding. You could use your own favourite banana bread recipe - or even a store bought banana bread if you're really pushed for time. I served it warm with frozen vanilla yogurt but I actually preferred it the next day at room temperature.
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 dash fine salt
- BANANA BREAD: Beat butter & sugar until light & fluffy; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in banana & vanilla; Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt, add to banana mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips & pecans and scrape batter into a greased 9 inch square pan; bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes; turn out & cool completely.
- BREAD PUDDING: Grease a 9 inch square pan & line with parchment so that some of the parchment hangs over the sides.
- Cut banana bread into one inch cubes & layer in pan.
- Heat cream & vanilla to just below a simmer; pour over chocolate, whisking gently to melt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, banana & salt; slowly add the hot cream mixture, whisking constantly until blended.
- Strain the chocolate custard mixture over the cubed banana bread, press down to soak & let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place the bread pudding dish into a large baking pan with a 2 inch lip; pour an inch of boiling water into the baking pan.
- Bake in a 300F preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the water bath & let cool; to serve, use edges of parchment to lift out, cut into squares & serve warm or room temperature.