Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Nothing tops old fashioned banana bread. Found this recipe in Quick Cooking magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, bananas, milk and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa,baking soda and salt; add to the banana mixture and mix just until combined.
- Fold in nuts if desired.
- Transfer to a greased 9 inch x 5 inch x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
We loved it. Used shortening instead of butter and more bananas called for. Really good flavor.
Really good bread. Would be really good with chocolate chips as well.
I had a few bananas laying around that really needed to be used up and I hadn't make a quick bread in a while so I browsed zaar for some recipes thinking I'd try something a little different. This is pretty good bread. I like the combination of chocolate and banana together. I would definitely watch the cook time though. I had a feeling an hour would be a little too long and it was. I would make this again but my bread did turn out a little dry so I'd start checking it at around 45 minutes or so and keep a close eye on it if it needs a little more time in the oven. I'd love to toss in some chocolate chips next time. Mmmm. Thank's for sharing!