1/5 Photos of Chocolate Babka (Bread Machine)
1 hr 15 mins
Who doesn't like Chocolate? Chocolate babkas seems to be where it is at! This comes out beautifully in the bread machine. The raisins can be omitted. Soaking the raisins in rum, rose water or orange blossom water gives this an extra treat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 6 egg yolks, whisked lightly
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, as needed
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked to rehydrate
- 1 lemon, zest of
Coating for pan
- 2 tablespoons almond cookies, crushed fine
- 1Place biga ingredients in bread machine according to your manufacturers directions. Start on dough cycle. Let mix for 2 minutes (It doesn`t need to go for the full time of the dough cycle) then unplug and leave closed till the next morning.
- 3The next morning add butter to biga which at this point should have collapsed. Whisk well eggs,sugar and vanilla add to machine. Top with flour.
- 4Set machine for dough cycle. At beep add raisins and zest.
- 5Meanwhile mix filling ingredients together in a food processor and chill till ready.
- 6Grease tube pan well and coat with cookie crumbs.
- 7Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 8When dough is done turn out on to a lightly floured work surface, and punch it down to release the built up gases.
- 9Roll out into a rectangle 8 by 14 inches.
- 10Spread the filling then roll them up jellyroll style and pinch the seams to seal them. Flatten the dough slightly with a rolling pin, then twist the dough 6 to 8 times. Allow the dough to rest a few minutes. Make spirals with the dough and place them in a greased tube pans. Cover pan with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in volume, about 30 to 60 minutes.
- 11Bake the cakes for 45 minutes; then let cool in the pan.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Babka (Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.5
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 98.5 mg
- Sodium 253.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of