Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 48 hrs
Cook 50 mins
I love collecting recipe books (all kinds I have no faves). I'm also very, very fond of breakfast for dinner, especially in the summer during work days. But my fave is this Babka, it's from a book I've had for ages. It's great sliced in the morning with a bit of jam and coffee. THIS TAKES ABOUT 2 DAYS TO COMPLETE. BUT.... better than any bakery I've been to buy it! Please read full instructions before starting!.. Very worth it! Enjoy.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 walnuts
- 7 1⁄2 ounces almond paste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- NOTE: Your eggs need to be room temperature You can sub the dried cherries for dried cranberries or raisins.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the butter, milk, and sugar and cook until the butter melts. Add the vanilla and set aside to cool.
- THIS NEXT PART IS VERY IMPORTANT!
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter mixture, eggs, flour, cocoa, and salt and beat until smooth. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 24 or up to 48 hours. The dough will double and have a cracked surface.
- Lightly butter a 12 cup tube pan.
- In a food processor fitted with metal blade, grind the walnuts to a fine texture. Add the almond paste, butter and almond extract and pulse until well combined. Add the flour and powdered sugar and pulse until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- TO MAKE BABKA:.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and divide into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 16 by 10 inch rectangle. Crumble half of the filling evenly over each piece. Sprinkle each with half of the cherries and half of the chocolate chips. Roll jell roll style, beginning at the long side. Place seam side down, with the ends slightly overlapping, in the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining dough and place the roll in the pan on top of the first roll. Cover the pan with a cloth and let rise in a warm place 2 to 3 hours, until doubled.
- Place in a preheated oven at 375.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, until it is firm and dry on top. Let cool completely. Gently place on plate and dust with powdered sugar.