FOR THE FILLING
- 1⁄3 cup Amaretto
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup dried apricot, thinly sliced (about 6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 4 apricots, diced (optional)
- TO PREPARE FILLING: Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl, Microwave at high 1 1/2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring after 45 seconds. Stir in dried apricots and ginger; cover. Microwave at high 3 minutes; let stand 5 minutes. Place apricot mixture in a food processor or blender; process until coarsely chopped, Spoon apricot mixture into bowl; cover and cool completely. Stir in 1/4 cup chips.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Preheat oven to 350°F Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface (cover remaining dough to keep from drying) lightly coat with cooking spray. Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, coat remaining 7 phyllo sheets with cooking spray, placing one on top of the other. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over phyllo, pressing gently to seal sheets together; discard plastic wrap.
- Spoon filling along 1 long edge of phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold over the short edges of phyllo to cover 2 inches of apricot mixture on each end.
- Starting at long edge with 2-inch border, roll up jelly-roll fashion, Do not roll tightly, or the strudel may split. (Strudel may be for frozen for up to five days at this point). Place strudel, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with baking spray. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Place 1/4 cup chips in a small heavy-duty zip-lock plasric bag,and seal. Submerge bag in very hot water until chips melt. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag; drizzle chocolate evenly over each of 8 dessert plates. Cut strudel diagonally into 16 slices using a serrated knife, dipped in hot water; arrange 2 slices over chocolate drizzle. Garnish each serving with diced apricot, if desired.