Recipe by Manami
Found this on the Hershey's site and from what I understand their chocolate is kosher for Passover. Haven't tried this as yet but it looks good and is quite pretty, too! I did not include cooling times.Update: 4/23/2008 I finally made this and took a reviewer's advice about not straining the apricot preserves and used more apricot preserves and used 1/2 cup of apricot juice from the can (unsweetened) and reduced the sugar to 1 cup. Decorated the cake with apricots and almonds.
Top Review by dlkspeech
This was a big hit with all, especially adults...however, there really isn't much "apricot" to this recipe. I would called it an Almond Chocolate Torte. Or, I would add chopped apricots and also puree, not strain, the heated preserves.
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup hershey's cocoa
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ground blanched almond
- 3 tablespoons matzos (cake meal)
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
CHOCOLATE CREAM FROSTING
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup hershey's cocoa
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE CAKE:.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Line bottoms of two 9" round baking pans with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add 1-1/2 cups sugar and cocoa; stir until well blended.
- Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg yolks in large bowl until slightly thickened.
- Gradually add cocoa mixture, beating until blended.
- Stir in water and vanilla.
- Stir together ground almonds and cake meal; stir about half of mixutre into chocolate batter.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until foamy; gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold remaining almond mixture into beaten whites.
- Gradually add egg white mixture to chocolate batter, folding gently until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes clean.
- Cool 10 minutes(cake will settle slightly).
- Remove from pans to wire racks; peel off paper.
- Cool completely.
- Place 1 layer on serving plate.
- Heat apricot preserves; strain.
- Discard fruit.
- Spread melted preserves over top layer.
- Top with remaining layer.
- PREPARE CHOCOLATE CREAM FROSTING:.
- Stir together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa in medium bowl.
- Add whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Beat until stiff.
- After you have prepared frosting; spread over top and sides of torte.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- Garnish with whole almonds, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate leftover torte.