Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
LIKE GRANDMA USE TO MAKE
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (1 ounce each)
FILLING and GARNISH
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- HEAT oven to 325 degrees.
- Coat two 8 inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper, coat paper with spray.
- CAKE LAYERS: Prepare cake mix following package directions, using egg,water and oil.
- Add in chopped apricots and chopped almonds.
- Divide batter evenly between the 2 pans.
- Bake in 325 degrees, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool in pans for 15 minutes.
- Then turn out layers onto rack, carefully removing waxed paper.
- Let cool completely.
- FROSTING: In small saucepan heat heavy cream over medium- high heat until simmering.
- Place chopped chocolate in medium-size bowl.
- POUR heavy cream over the chocolate and stir it.
- Put in refrigator for at least 45 minutes.
- FILLING AND GARNISH: Place 1 cake layer on dish.
- Spread top layer with apricot preserves.
- Place 2nd cake layer on top of it.
- Frost sides and on top with frosting.
- Put sliced almonds on sides of cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 35 minutes.