Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
People who love caramel will appreciate this cake. It has no eggs, therefore it has a moist and dense consistency. It would make a lovely birthday cake.
- 3 cups applesauce
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
For Caramel Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (approximately)
- To Prepare Cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat applesauce in microwave on High for 3 to 5 minutes or until hot.
- Combine oil and sugar in mixer bowl.
- Stir in hot applesauce Combine flour, cococa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to mixer bowl, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour batter into 2 (9-inch) greased and floured round cake pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375^F.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.
- Cake layers with slightly crack on top.
- Let cool in pans about 10 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- To Prepare Frosting: Heat butter, brown sugar and salt in saucepan until butter is melted.
- Bring mixture to a rolling boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in milk.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; let cool.
- Stir in enough powdered sugar for spreading consistency.
- When cake is cool, frost between layer and on top and sides.
- Store in airtight container.