People who love caramel will appreciate this cake. It has no eggs, therefore it has a moist and dense consistency. It would make a lovely birthday cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups applesauce
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
For Caramel Frosting
- 1To Prepare Cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Heat applesauce in microwave on High for 3 to 5 minutes or until hot.
- 3Combine oil and sugar in mixer bowl.
- 4Stir in hot applesauce Combine flour, cococa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- 5Slowly add dry ingredients to mixer bowl, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 6Pour batter into 2 (9-inch) greased and floured round cake pans.
- 7Bake for 15 minutes.
- 8Reduce oven temperature to 375^F.
- 9Bake 15 minutes longer.
- 10Cake layers with slightly crack on top.
- 11Let cool in pans about 10 minutes.
- 12Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 13To Prepare Frosting: Heat butter, brown sugar and salt in saucepan until butter is melted.
- 14Bring mixture to a rolling boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 15Remove from heat; stir in milk.
- 16Return to heat and bring to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute.
- 17Remove from heat; let cool.
- 18Stir in enough powdered sugar for spreading consistency.
- 19When cake is cool, frost between layer and on top and sides.
- 20Store in airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Applesauce Cake With Caramel Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (2525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 8384.7
- Calories from Fat 2890
- Total Fat 321.1 g
- Saturated Fat 90.2 g
- Cholesterol 252.5 mg
- Sodium 10106.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1360.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.3 g
- Sugars 807.1 g
- Protein 58.4 g