Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this from another recipe site, so I don't know the original source. It is nice and moist and has a good chocolately flavor. The original recipe said to put it in 2 1-lb. loaf pans, but they were so full that the middle was still gooey when the outside was done, so I'm suggesting 3 pans and a slightly shorter baking time.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (e.g. Hershey's)
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup chocolate chips
- Beat margarine and sugar at medium speed until smooth and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat for 1 minute.
- Blend in applesauce (Mixture will look curdled).
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Make a well in the center; add applesauce mixture and chips and stir just until combined and flour is evenly moistened.
- Spray one 9x5 loaf pan or 3 1-lb.
- pans with nonstick spray and spoon in batter.
- Bake at 350* for about 60 minutes for one loaf or about 35-40 minutes for 3.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on rack.