Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I got this recipe from the Sunday Magazine in the Herald sun by Donna Hay. I wanted to take a picture, but they were gone by the time I got the camera out! A yummy addition to the great Aussie favorite!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 125 g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 400 g dark cooking chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Place the oats, flour sugar and coconut in a bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
- Place the butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan over a low heat and stir until melted and combined. Place the water and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl, stir to combine and add the butter mixture. Pour the butter mixture in with the oats mixture and stir until well combined.
- Place tablespoons of the mixture onto baking trays lined with baking paper, allowing room for spreading. Flatten slightly and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden in colour. Allow to cool on the tray. Spread 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate on the base of each biscuit and place the biscuit chocolate side up, on a wire rack until set. Make about 24.
I made these for the DS's recreation music group were they were well received but I think I really made a mistake in using a rich dark chocolate to coat them (my personal preference - I think they would have preferred a milk chocolate but it was all I had). I got 21 large biscuits from the mix and baked them for 10 minutes at 150C fan forced oven and only used 200 grams of chocolate to coat (melted a 100 grams at a time in the microwave). Thank you Tisme, made for Aussie/NZ Recipe Wap #39 April 2010.
Expect these to disapear! I really did not expect for these to come out that good after I baked them but I was wrong! My family loved them. Lucky for me I took a quick photo before they ate them all.
These are wonderful!They couldn't even totally set before they were gone(my family acts as if I never feed them!).Give us anything with coconut and we love it.Thanks for posting!!