Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Rich, creamy, unique chocolate pie with a hint of cinnamon. Also a bit tricky because of the meringue, therefore not a beginners recipe. A legacy of my grandmother and a family tradition at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Make sure the eggs are separated well and all the directions are followed to the letter.
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 baked pie crust
- Beat egg whites, vinegar, salt and first 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar slowly to egg white mixture while beating continuously. When stiff spread evenly over baked pie crust. Bake at 325 for 15-18 minutes or until meringue turns light brown and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Next place egg yolks, chocolate chips and water in top of a double boiler or melt in a pan over boiling water. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth. Spread a thin layer of chocolate over meringue layer. Chill the remaining chocolate while doing the next step.
- Combine 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1 cup whipping cream. Whip until stiff. Spread 1/2 of mixture over cooled chocolate layer.
- Fold together remaining chocolate and remaining whipped cream mixture and spread over pie. There should be four layers:meringue, chocolate, whipped cream cinnamon, and whipped cream chocolate mixture on the top.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
This is a family recipie handed down through our family. Super rich and delicious. Only thing is this recipie calls for the wrong crust..oops cats out of the bag why our pie reigns supreme.
Let me tell you a little story about this recipes.I asked my wife to make this one year for a night shift Christmas party. The party consisted of about 12 coworkers and their wives if they wanted to invite them to join us. We all had a good time, and a good meal. After moving on to another job. and1or 2 years later, I found my self, I found myself Christmas shopping on that side of town close to where I use to work, and dropping in to say hi to the fellas, found that I was walking in on their Christmas party, and was asked to join them. And when the wives showed up, and when I was reintroducing myself to them. One young lady said " Oh your the one who brought that EVIL STUFF last time".
This pie has been a family favorite for years, requested by my sons for special occasions, eg. birthdays. It takes some time, and has a lot of fat, but it is so delicious. Calories are okay for special and infrequent times.