Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Rich, creamy, unique chocolate pie with a hint of cinnamon. Also a bit tricky because of the meringue, therefore not a beginners recipe. A legacy of my grandmother and a family tradition at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Make sure the eggs are separated well and all the directions are followed to the letter.
- Beat egg whites, vinegar, salt and first 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar slowly to egg white mixture while beating continuously. When stiff spread evenly over baked pie crust. Bake at 325 for 15-18 minutes or until meringue turns light brown and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Next place egg yolks, chocolate chips and water in top of a double boiler or melt in a pan over boiling water. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth. Spread a thin layer of chocolate over meringue layer. Chill the remaining chocolate while doing the next step.
- Combine 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1 cup whipping cream. Whip until stiff. Spread 1/2 of mixture over cooled chocolate layer.
- Fold together remaining chocolate and remaining whipped cream mixture and spread over pie. There should be four layers:meringue, chocolate, whipped cream cinnamon, and whipped cream chocolate mixture on the top.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
Let me tell you a little story about this recipes.I asked my wife to make this one year for a night shift Christmas party. The party consisted of about 12 coworkers and their wives if they wanted to invite them to join us. We all had a good time, and a good meal. After moving on to another job. and1or 2 years later, I found my self, I found myself Christmas shopping on that side of town close to where I use to work, and dropping in to say hi to the fellas, found that I was walking in on their Christmas party, and was asked to join them. And when the wives showed up, and when I was reintroducing myself to them. One young lady said " Oh your the one who brought that EVIL STUFF last time".
This pie has been a family favorite for years, requested by my sons for special occasions, eg. birthdays. It takes some time, and has a lot of fat, but it is so delicious. Calories are okay for special and infrequent times.
This pie takes some time, but I have been making it for years, and it is worth the effort.