Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Rich chocolate filling nestled in a shell of meringue. Cooking time does not include four hours of refrigeration. This is best started early in the day. So yummy.
- 3 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- In a small bowl beat egg whites and cream of tarter until soft peaks form.
- Gradually sprinkle in sugar 2 Tbsp at a time.
- Beat two minutes after each addition or until sugar is completely dissolved (about 2 min).
- Add vanilla and continue to beat at high speed until mixture stands in stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spoon into a greased nine inch pie plate, smooth till evenly distributed.
- Using the back of a spoon pile meringue up at the sides to form a shell.
- Bake 1 hour at 275°F Turn off oven and let stand in oven 1 hour.
- Combine chocolate, water, egg yolks, sugar, and salt in double boiler over hot, not boiling water.
- Cook until chocolate is melted and mixture is very thick and mounds when dropped from a spoon (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large bowl at medium speed beat cream with vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- Spoon mixture into meringue shell.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or until filling is set.
Served for Easter dinner - huge hit! These are great instructions for making a fool-proof meringue shell. It was time consuming but it is made ahead & ready when you are. Everyone asked for the recipe!
This is really nice. I have never made a meringue before! I definitely enjoyed making this even if it is a little time consuming. It is worth it! The chocolate filling is wonderful!! Thanks connie! Great pie!