Recipe by nleewebb
recipe given to me by both my mom and a good friend in the 70's. A family favorite that I share only because it should be known by all! Cook time is the minimum time to refrigerate before serving. We like it most when it's made the day before!! (and since i usually serve this for a special occasion, that makes life easier!!)
- 6 ounces chocolate bars with almonds
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 angel food cake
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 9x3" loaf pan with plastic wrap by placing a 16" strip lengthwise and a 12" strip widthwise.
- Slice store bought Angel Food Cake into 1" slices. Set aside.
- Coarsely chop Chocolate Almond Bar(s) (enough to equal 6 ounces). Can use plain bar(s), but we like the texture and flavor of chopped almonds in the finished cake.
- Place in double boiler with semi sweet chocolate chips, have water below at a strong simmer.
- Stir chocolate constantly until melted and mixed thoroughly.
- Using stand mixer, whip egg whites until stiff.
- In separate bowl, with clean beaters, whip one 1 cup cream, until thick. Set aside. (Save remaining cream until following day.).
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolks til thick (about 5 minutes).
- Slowly stream melted chocolate into egg yolks, beating thoroughly. Set aside.
- Carefully fold stiffly beaten egg whites into Chocolate mixture. Then fold in Whipped Cream.
- Line bottom of loaf pan with angel food cake slices.Place heaping spoonful of chocolate/cream mixture, fully covering cake slices. Place angel food slices over, layering with chocolate cream mixture, ending with cake slices.
- Fold plastic wrap over securely.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours; overnight is preferred.
- Prior to serving, whip remaining cream until stiff, adding confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- Remove chilled cake from loaf pan. Remove one layer of plastic wrap. Use other layer to place cake on serving plate, removing wrap carefully. Frost with whipped cream. Can decorate with shave chocolate or drizzle with melted chocolate. Slice into 12 servings, about 1/2 thick.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftover cake.