Once they taste these cupcakes, no one will believe that they are low in calories. Less than 50 calories a serving! Adopted from the RecipeZaar account.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small saucepan, stir cocoa and 1/3 cup water over low heat about 1 minute until mixture thickens and just begins to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks from when beaters are lifted.
- Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Quickly add cocoa mixture and beat 20 seconds until just blended.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Fold into egg white mixture, one fourth at a time.
- Spray 12 regular muffin cups with vegetable cooking spray.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until cupcakes begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of cupcakes to loosen.
- Remove cupcakes and cool on wire rack.
- Invert onto serving plate.
- Garnish each with a little whipped cream and a strawberry, if desired.