Recipe by wildheart
And you didn't think there WAS anything better than angel food.........
Top Review by lmaiorana
Either I did something wrong or this cake just didn't turn out. I followed the recipe exactly, but rather than dividing eggs for the whites I bought packaged egg whites. The cake did not rise (it was maybe half the height of normal angel food cakes) and came out very dense. I'll try this again by using fresh egg whites to see if that was the issue.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and 3/4 cup of the sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and the salt to the egg whites.
- Beat the whites until billowy.
- Add the remaining sugar in, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating continuously.
- Add the vanilla or almond.
- When all the sugar is added, start adding the flour mix a tablespoon at a time.
- (Use only a spotlessly clean rubber spatula).
- When all the sugar and flour mix is added, scoop the batter into a 10" UNGREASED tube pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, until cake tests done.
- Let the cake cool 1-2 hours before trying to slice.