Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
And you didn't think there WAS anything better than angel food.........
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and 3/4 cup of the sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and the salt to the egg whites.
- Beat the whites until billowy.
- Add the remaining sugar in, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating continuously.
- Add the vanilla or almond.
- When all the sugar is added, start adding the flour mix a tablespoon at a time.
- (Use only a spotlessly clean rubber spatula).
- When all the sugar and flour mix is added, scoop the batter into a 10" UNGREASED tube pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, until cake tests done.
- Let the cake cool 1-2 hours before trying to slice.
Either I did something wrong or this cake just didn't turn out. I followed the recipe exactly, but rather than dividing eggs for the whites I bought packaged egg whites. The cake did not rise (it was maybe half the height of normal angel food cakes) and came out very dense. I'll try this again by using fresh egg whites to see if that was the issue.
This is very good and very easy to make. I don't have a tube pan so I just made it in a 9x13 pan, and it turned out great. I made it for a family get-together, and my grammi and sister-in-law decided to taste test it to make sure it was good. : ) I was fine with it, so they tried some~ and by dinner time, half was gone!!