Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My mom used to make this all the time. It is one of the most requested desserts that I make.
- 3⁄4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (optional) or 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 12 room temperature egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Combine flour, cocoa, espresso powder, if using, and 3/4 cup of the sugar.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until whites hold soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in remaining 3/4 cup sugar and continue beating until whites hold stiff peaks.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Gently fold in flour mixture, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Run a knife or spatula through batter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Invert pan over a bottle and cool completely, about one hour.
- Run a knife around edge of pan to release cake.