Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Someone sent me this in an email once. Nice change of pace from the usual vanilla angel food.
Make and share this Chocolate Angel Food Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift flour, cocoa and 3/4 cup granulated sugar together 3 times; set aside.
- Beat egg whites at low speed in a large mixer bowl until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt.
- Gradually increase speed to medium while beating in remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, 5 minutes.
- When sugar is incorporated, continue beating to stiff peaks, 2 minutes more.
- Sift one third of dry ingredients over whites; gently fold in with rubber spatula.
- Repeat process 2 more times.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Cut through batter to remove air pockets.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until top springs back when gently pressed.
- Invert and hang pan on neck of bottle to cool.
- To unmold, run a thin knife around side of pan and tube; invert pan.
- Turn cake upright onto serving plate.
- Garnish with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
This cake was delicious! My first time at making angel food cake. Thanks for making it a good experience!
This cake was very moist. More so than the regular angel food cakes. My husband wanted a chocolate angel food cake for his birthday and before his birthday I decided to give it a trial run. My husband is a chocaholic and I knew it would be a real test if I make it in the future. When I made it he helped me and for the color of the cake being very light brown we weren't to sure about the flavor. Don't let the color of the cake interfer with your decision as it was very chocolately and a hit with my husband. I didn't ice the cake but we tried taking some chocolate syrup used on ice cream and drizzled it over individual slices of cake. Now that made it even better. I am making that cake for my husband's birthday on Feb 9th. It was an excellent cake.
Excellent angel food. A nice, light taste of chocolate.