Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
One mouthful of this fat-free cake and you'll be floating on cloud nine! This is something I played around with and it came out so moist.
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup hot strong coffee
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Using a medium bowl, dissolve cocoa in coffee; set aside to cool at room temperature.
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt.
- Place egg whites in large mixing bowl and set it over a larger bowl of hot water. Stir for several minutes until egg whites come to room temperature. Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Sift the flour mixture over the beaten egg whites in 3 parts, folding in gently after each sifting.
- Stir approximately 1 cup of egg white mixture into the coffee mixture. Fold it back into the egg white mixture until combined.
- Pour the batter into a spring-form cake pan. Smooth the top and run a small knife through the batter to remove any air pockets.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Allow cake to sit in pan until nearly cool. With a knife, loosen the edges and invert the cake onto a serving platter.