Recipe by Chef UK
A handwritten recipe I just found, which I wrote down 30 years ago! I don't remember the pudding (an English pudding is like a cake)but it obviously made a very big impression on me. I didn't often write out recipes when I was about 10 :-) I plan to make this soon.
- 2 ounces caster sugar
- 1 ounce cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces fine semolina
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ounce melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ounce walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 pint hand-hot water
- 3 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F, 180C, gas mark 4.
- Sift the first 5 ingredients into a mixing bowl, and in a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter, eggs and vanilla essence.
- Stir this into the dry ingredients and add the chopped walnuts. Pour this mixture into a buttered baking dish.
- Mix together brown sugar and cocoa powder with a fork. Gradually whisk in the hand hot water, then pour over the pudding.
- Place the pudding in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the pudding has risen and is firm in the middle.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with some icing sugar.