Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
I got this recipe from Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger and adapted it to use ingredients that I normally have on hand. I used frozen strawberries(thawed and sliced), as it wasn't strawberry season and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and it was wonderful!!! Could make it even lighter by using low or no-fat cream cheese, light bread and egg substitute.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, softened (or part-skim ricotta cheese)
- 8 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 (8 ounce) container strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 4 teaspoons chocolate chips
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of cream cheese in the center of 4 of the pieces of bread and spread around slightly. Top with about 6 slices of strawberries and a teaspoon of chocolate chips. Cover each with another piece of bread to make a "sandwich".
- Spray a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and preheat. Carefully dip each of the "sandwiches" into the egg mixture until completely moistened. Then place on the skillet and cook over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until the outside is golden brown and the center is warm and chocolate is melted.
- Transfer to serving places. Top with remaining strawberries and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
I made this with 4 very thick slices of a nutty, whole grain bread & sliced a pocket in the middle of each slice ~ Other than that, I pretty much followed the recipe (well, I DID substitute some great fresh blueberries for the listed berries) & we had AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT FRENCH TOAST BREAKFAST! I'm definitely looking forward to making this again with other fresh berries, including the strawberries when I can get them fresh & locally grown, the best-tasting kind! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Wonderful! I stirred in a teaspoon or two of strawberry preserves in with the cream cheese. I only used 2 eggs and 1/4-1/2 cup milk and this was plenty for four servings. I took diner's advice and used frozen strawberries. Delicious! Thank you for the recipe. Made for Every Day is a Holiday tag.
I made this for two and added 1 t. of sugar to the cream cheese. Other than my bread falling apart as I tried to make a pocket rather than two slices of bread, this is a great breakfast.