Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
A romantic breakfast for two, or a treat for a special little one. This rich, luscious French toast is from The Cook's Cottage and Suites in Fredericksburg, Texas, voted one of the Top 25 Most Romantic Places in the U.S. I prepared this for my boyfriend for our one-year "anniversary" and found that there is much more of the sauce than we needed - try it over vanilla ice cream, or simply half the recipe. Also, it's best to use preserves for this recipe, not jam or jelly.
- 2 slices day-old French bread (1-inch thick diagonal slices)
- 2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash cinnamon
MANDARIN ORANGE STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 4 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut through each slice of bread horizontally to form a pocket, not cutting all the way through.
- Stuff 1 tbsp.of the chocolate chips and 2 tbsp.of the strawberry preserves into each pocket along with one tbsp.of softened cream cheese.
- (I like to press the little chips into the cream cheese so they"stay in place".) Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add the filled bread and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes.
- In a heavy skillet or griddle, heat butter.
- Add stuffed bread, turning frequently until crisp and golden.
- Transfer to heated plates and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with Mandarin Orange Strawberry Sauce.
- To make sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients and simmer together until slightly thickened.