A romantic breakfast for two, or a treat for a special little one. This rich, luscious French toast is from The Cook's Cottage and Suites in Fredericksburg, Texas, voted one of the Top 25 Most Romantic Places in the U.S. I prepared this for my boyfriend for our one-year "anniversary" and found that there is much more of the sauce than we needed - try it over vanilla ice cream, or simply half the recipe. Also, it's best to use preserves for this recipe, not jam or jelly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices day-old French bread (1-inch thick diagonal slices)
- 2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash cinnamon
MANDARIN ORANGE STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- 1Cut through each slice of bread horizontally to form a pocket, not cutting all the way through.
- 2Stuff 1 tbsp.of the chocolate chips and 2 tbsp.of the strawberry preserves into each pocket along with one tbsp.of softened cream cheese.
- 3(I like to press the little chips into the cream cheese so they"stay in place".) Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- 4Add the filled bread and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes.
- 5In a heavy skillet or griddle, heat butter.
- 6Add stuffed bread, turning frequently until crisp and golden.
- 7Transfer to heated plates and dust with powdered sugar.
- 8Serve with Mandarin Orange Strawberry Sauce.
- 9To make sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients and simmer together until slightly thickened.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate and Strawberry-Filled French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1385.0
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 292.7 mg
- Sodium 764.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 245.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 154.9 g
- Protein 16.6 g