1/3 Photos of Chocolate and Pistachio Whiligig Buns
1 hr 10 mins
I found this yummy sounding recipe on the New York Times website. I haven't tried it yet, but I adore pistachios, and can't wait!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
- 5 -5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 packets fast rise yeast or 3 packets bread machine yeast or 3 packets other instant yeast
- 7 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- vegetable oil, for bowl
For the filling and the glaze
- 1To prepare the dough, heat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl, combine 5 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- 3In a small saucepan, combine 7 1/2 tablespoons butter and the milk, and place over low heat until lukewarm.
- 4In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly, and then whisk in milk mixture.
- 5Stir the liquid ingredients into dry ingredients.
- 6Using a mixer with a dough hook, or by hand, knead dough until smooth and springy, adding more flour if necessary.
- 7Form into a ball, and place in an oiled bowl.
- 8Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 30 minutes.
- 9Punch down dough.
- 10Line a 13-by-10-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- 11On a lightly floured surface, roll out one-third of the dough, and place in pan.
- 12Roll out remaining dough to a rectangle about 20 by 10 inches.
- 13To make filling, mix together the butter and sugar to make a paste.
- 14Spread paste evenly over large rectangle of dough.
- 15Chop pistachios until splintery, and sprinkle evenly over dough.
- 16Top with chocolate chips.
- 17Starting from longest side, carefully roll up dough so it looks like a long sausage.
- 18Cut dough into 20 slices, each 3/8 inch thick, and arrange with a cut side up on top of dough in pan.
- 19Brush buns with beaten egg, and let them sit in a warm place until puffed up and snugly filling pan, about 15 minutes.
- 20Bake until buns are risen and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 21Remove from baking pan to cool on a rack.
- 22Serve warm.
- 23Makes 20 buns.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate and Pistachio Whiligig Buns
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.6
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 81.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 6.1 g