1/1 Photo of Chocolate and Pear Trifle
24 hrs 20 mins
Posted in response to a request in the British cooking forum. I can't wait to try this one out, it looks yummy! Prep time includes up to 24 hours chilling time, although it can be as little as 4-6 hours, you decide.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the bottom layer of the trifle
- 1 ready-made chocolate pound cake
For the custard layer
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the pear layer
- 1 1/4 cups sweet white wine, such as sauterne or riesling or 1 1/4 cups white grape juice (alcohol free)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of or 1 1/2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 large ripe pears, peeled,cored,and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
For the garnish
- 1Cut the ready-made chocolate pound cake into 1-inch cubes.
- 2You should have about 8 cups.
- 3Set aside.
- 4To prepare the custard: In a medium size heavy saucepan, stir the sugar, flour, ground nutmeg and salt.
- 5Gradually stir in the milk, egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- 6Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- 7Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Pour into a bowl.
- 10Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- 11To prepare the pears: Stir the wine, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon peel, ground nutmeg, and ground cinnamon in large skillet.
- 12Cook over low heat, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- 13Bring to a boil.
- 14Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- 15Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
- 16Add the sliced pear wedges to wine mixture, stir gently to coat.
- 17Bring to a boil.
- 18Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.
- 19Simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the pears are tender.
- 20Remove the pears from the skillet with slotted spoon and discard any cooking liguid.
- 21Cover and refrigerate the pears for 4-24 hours.
- 22Putting the trifle together: Place half of the chocolate pound cake cubes in the bottom of glass trifle bowl.
- 23Pour half of the cooled custard sauce over the cake and half of the spiced pears over the custard.
- 24Repeat layering the trifle with remaining chocolate pound cake cubes, custard sauce and pears.
- 25Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- 26Right before you are ready to serve the trifle, remove from refrigerator, and garnish top of trifle with whipped cream, grated chocolate, and maraschino or candied cherries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate and Pear Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.2
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 108.4 mg
- Sodium 106.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 35.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chocolate pound cake