Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was developed with my Kittencal's Extreme Chocolate Brownies If you are in need of a peanut butter and chocolate fix, this will cure it for sure! Prep time does not include make the brownies. The chocolate topping can be doubled if desired for a thicker layer.
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsley chopped dry roasted peanuts
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING or GANACHE
- 1 cup peanut butter (use purchased peanut butter)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon 18% table cream (or use half and half cream or full-fat milk)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- For the brownies; set oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a heavy saucepan bring butter, sugar and water to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until the butter is melted and sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes) remove from heat and stir in 2 cups chocolate chips until melted then vanilla; cool slightl.
- In a mixing bowl whisk eggs until blended then add into the slightly cooled chocolate mixture, beating or whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Add in flour, baking soda and salt; add to the egg/chocolate mixture; mix to combine.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and chopped peanuts.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (do not overbake).
- Cool completely.
- For the frosting/ganache; in a bowl beat peanut butter with 1/4 cup butter using an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add in powdered sugar, pinch salt, nutmeg, cream and vanilla; beat until smooth and blended.
- Spread over cooled brownies.
- For the chocolate topping; in a saucepan combine the chocolate with 1/4 cup butter; cook stirring over low heat until smooth (this can also be done in the microwave).
- Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the peanut butter ganache, then spread out to cover.
- Chill about 2 hours or until set.
- Cut into squares.
Darn you Kittencal! Everytime I need a "go to" recipe, I can find it under your name! Thanks for another winner!
Wow, I loved these. However, since I'm the kind of person who doesn't measure out ingredients before-hand, I had to make some adjustments. Had to leave out the peanuts in the actual brownie, and when I went to make the frosting, I found that someone had put an empty jar into the cupboard. So my frosting had 1/4 peanut butter and 3/4 cup of Nutella (which was the closest thing I could find). It was still really good, but because Nutella has 10000x more sugar, it was REALLY sweet. Altogether pretty awesome. The brownie part reminded me of those store-bought 2-bite brownies. :)