1 hr 24 mins
1 hr 4 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
The original of this recipe came from the Volume 2, 2003 Taste of Home's Chocolate Lover's Cookbook. Preparation time does not include the time needed for the base dough to chill for 4 hours, the filling to cool, & the filled rolls to chill overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE BASE
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 1FOR THE BASE: In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese & sugar, then add the egg, orange zest & vanilla, mixing well.
- 2In another bowl, whisk together the flour & salt, then add this to the creamed mixture & mix well. Cover & chill for 4 hours or until firm.
- 3FOR THE FILLING: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine all the filling ingredients, then cook & stir over low heat until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- 4Once the base dough has chilled AND the filling has cooled, on a floured surface, divide the dough in half; roll each half into a 12-inch by 10-inch rectangle.
- 5Spread each rectangle with half of the cooled filling, then carefully roll up into a tight jelly roll & wrap each roll in waxed paper. Chill overnight.
- 6The next day, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F & set out several baking sheets.
- 7Remove waxed paper from the rolls & cut the rolls into 1/4-inch thick slices, placing the slices on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 8Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, then remove the cookies to wire racks to cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate and Orange Pinwheel Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.5
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 17.9 mg
- Sodium 62.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 1.4 g