Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a beautiful wreath. It's a bit fiddly and time consuming, but it's a great treat to share on special occasions.
- 500 g unbleached bread flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 g butter
- 300 ml warm milk or 300 ml water
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 150 g chopped dark chocolate
- 100 g chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons marmalade or 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- To make the dough, place flour in a large bowl and rub the butter through with your fingertips so that the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the yeast, salt, golden syrup, lemon rind and milk or water and mix to form dough.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and kneed until the dough is soft and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large, well oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and allow to rise until doubled. About 1 hour.
- When the dough has risen, roll it out, on a floured surface, to a rectangle about 40cm x 20cm and about 1cm thick.
- Evenly sprinkle the chocolate, nuts and sugar over the surface of the dough, then roll up from the long end, firm and tight, like a Swiss roll. Carefully roll out the ‘sausage’ with your hands until it is about 50 - 60cms long.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the roll in half lengthways down the middle, but only half the length of the roll. Twist these pieces together keeping the cut side up.
- Turn and cut through the remaining dough down the middle, then twist these strips, taking care to disguise the join in the centre.
- Bring the two ends together and form into a circle. Overlapping them to form an invisible join, then carefully place on a greased baking sheet. (I use a pizza tray.)
- Set aside and allow to rise for 40 minutes, or until not quite doubled.
- Brush with milk and bake for 35mins at 200OC, when baked, allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Brush with heated jam. Mix the icing sugar with a little hot water and drizzle over wreath.