Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from the February 2003 issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine. Not a quick and easy recipe and has to go in the oven twice. However well worth the effort to make for special guests or special occasion for your family. This is a cake where the batter is baked about halfway and then is topped with a thick layer of chocolate and hazelnut studded meringue and returned to the oven for a final crisping.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- all-purpose flour, for pan
- 1 cup hazelnuts (about 4 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 4 large egg whites
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled, plus 4 oz roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 3 inch springform pan. Line bottom with parchment. Butter parchment, and sprinkle with flour; tap out excess. Set aside.
- 2. Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast until fragrant and skins start to crack, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven; rub vigorously with a clean kitchen towel to take off skins. Let cool; roughly chop. Set aside.
- 3. Make cake batter; In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until pale and smooth. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate, vanilla, and rum. Beat until combined. Set aside.
- 4. In a clean mixer bowl, combine 6 egg whites and salt; using the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Stir one third of the egg whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining beaten egg whites just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake 25 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, make meringue; Combine hazelnuts, chopped chocolate, and cornstarch in a small bowl, and set aside. Place remaining 4 egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean mixer bowl; using a clean whisk attachment beat on high speed until frothy. With mixer running, slowly add superfine sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. Fold in hazelnut mixture.
- 6. Remove cake from oven. Using an offset spatula, spread meringue mixture on top of cake, and return to oven. Bake until meringue is lightly browned and crisp, 25-30 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack; let stand 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen, and release sides of pan. Let cool, about 30 minutes, before slicing and serving.