Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
An intensely flavoured creme brulée combining two favourites: chocolate, and Grand Marnier. Both flavours are strong, but this can easily be fixed by using less for those who prefer a more mild flavour. Time setting in fridge NOT included.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 -4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 -2 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar (for topping)
- Preheat the Oven to 325ºF.
- Whisk together egg yolks and 1 cup icing sugar until the mixture thickens and is a pale yellow.
- Simmer the cream over low heat, melting the chocolate in it.
- Add vanilla extract and Grand Marnier to cream and remove from heat.
- Slowly add the cream to the egg mixture, whisking continually to prevent curdling.
- Divide mixture between four ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a cake pan and fill with water about halfway up the outside of the ramekins. Bake until edges begin to set, about 40 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature, and then refridgerate for at least two hours.
- Before serving, turn on the broiler and allow it to heat up.
- Sprinkle the remaining 4 tablespoons of icing sugar over the tops of the creme brulées covering them evenly.
- Broil until the sugar caremelizes, be careful not to let it burn. It should be cool under the carmelized sugar (the ramekin won't be though!).