Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Put a twist on old school chilli with a little bit of chocolate
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle paste
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 (400 g) can black beans
- 1 square dark chocolate
- spring onion, to serve
- Fry the onion and garlic on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until soft, then add the red pepper, chili powder, paprika and chipotle paste (add more if you want it hotter, keep tasting it and add accordingly) mix well and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and season well.
- Turn the heat up until simmering and add the black beans and chocolate and stir in well.
- Cook for around 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve topped with spring onions with tortilla chips and dips, or rice.
My rating is based on the wonderful depth of flavors that this dish has. I did add 1 lb of ground beef to the recipe and got 6 nice servings. The bell pepper was the green variety as that is what I had on hand. The chili did simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.