Chocolate and Bread Turnovers With Raspberry Sauce
- 3 cups raspberries
- 3 tablespoons raspberry liqueur or 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 2 -4 tablespoons water
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar
Chocolate and Bread Turnovers
- 16 slices fresh home-style white bread, crusts removed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (or bittersweet)
- sugar, to taste
- For the sauce, puree all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour puree through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids, and chill, covered.
- Sauce may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.Melt the butter.
- For the turnovers, roll out bread slices between two pieces of parchment paper until very thin.
- Brush bread on both sides with melted butter.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the chocolate in the center of each slice.
- Fold in half diagonally to cover the filling and form a triangle, trim edges.
- Press the edges with your fingers to tightly seal.
- Brush tops and bottoms with melted butter crimp edges with fork and sprinkle top with sugar (at this point, the turnovers can be placed in a zippered plastic freezer bag and frozen for future use).
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 350°F (20 to 25 minutes if taken out of the freezer) or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cooled, with raspberry sauce.