Prep 10 mins
Cook 27 mins
This is an old family recipe that my grandfather picked up in Alabama during the depression. It sounds super sweet, but actually it's very light and it goes nicely with buttered biscuits. It makes enough for a crowd so the more biscuits you make decides how many people you shall feed.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour, heaping
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, heaping
- 1 dash salt
- 2 (16 ounce) packages Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits (2-3 pkg)
- Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan.
- Add 2 cups water and stir over medium heat until slight boil.
- Simmer while buscuits cook.
My mother makes chocolate and biscuits, but she never measures and never makes it the same way twice... so I am looking for a recipe so I can make it for my children. I made this as written except I added 1/2tsp vanilla. It was more like chocolate syrup to me, not the texture of my mom's at all... I have to keep looking. It was easy to make and it did not go to waste. :)
I grew up with this recipe and I remember my friends thinking chocolate gravy was weird! Once they tasted it, they always wanted more. Thanks for posting this recipe, Jessica!