Recipe by Topher
A sweet way to start or end the day never hurt! A new way of making a delicious banana and chocolate pastry. I can't wait to try them out! Prep time includes chill time.
- 100 g chocolate, chopped (dark or milk)
- 250 ml milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 400 g puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey, warmed, plus extra for glazing
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 long bananas, cut in half
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chocolate in a saucepan with the milk and heat until just before boiling point, stirring until the chocolate has melted.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy then stir in the flour.
- Then, while whisking, pour in the hot chocolate milk and whisk until well blended.
- Place the mixture in a double-boiler. Heat over simmering water, stirring constantly, until very thick (around 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Place a piece of plastic wrap or baking paper over the surface to prevent a skin forming and chill (this can be overnight for baking the pastries fresh in the morning).
- Preheat oven to 425°F Roll out the pastry to 0.5cm thickness and cut into 8 rectangles (about 10cm x 8cm).
- Lightly score a rectangle 1cm inside the edges of each. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and prick the bases a few times.
- Spread each inside the scoring line with about 1/8 of the chocolate custard.
- In a bowl mix together the honey and lemon juice.
- Halve the bananas lengthwise and toss with the lemon honey and top each pastry with 2 pieces of banana.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Brush the top with extra honey to glaze and cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.