Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This one never, ever fails. I found the recipe in a cookbook which came with a new oven some years ago.
- 200 g unblanched whole almonds (I used-blanched)
- 250 g dark cooking chocolate, broken into pieces (if for a special occasion, I use couverture)
- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g caster sugar
- 250 g pitted dates, chopped finely
- Place almonds and chocolate into processor and whiz until tiny pieces.
- Beat egg whites with salt until stiff; gradually add sugar until dissolved and mixture is glossy.
- Fold in almonds, chocolate and dates.
- Line base of 23cm springform and spoon in mixture.
- Bake at 180C (fanforced) for 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan in switched off oven with door open.
- Turn out of pan, cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream and berries.
Great Recipe Amanda in Adelaide! I made this for the Recipe Swap # 6. I thought that it would be hard to make a torte seeing as ive never made one before, but it was so easy! except for the turning it out of the pan. That part freaked me out a little bit!! Thanx again