Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Dusted with confectioner's sugar, this appears to be a simple pound cake...however, in the mouth it is anything but simple! This cake is moist, dense, and very chocolatey-almondy-buttery..... just down right delicious!! I have been making this recipe for years and like to serve it with real whipped cream. This is another creation by Boston caterer, Ellen Helman, from The Uncommon Gourmet.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Grease a 10-inch bundt pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the Amaretto, beat to blend.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, mixing until evenly blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan to a rack to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar.
- Great with real whipped cream.
This recipe is absolutely amazing. I've been making it since December 2008, and it just occurred to me today that I really needed to write a review so more people will try it! It's rich, delicious, moist, and amazing. I've always followed the recipe exactly, but right now I'm getting ready to make it for my own birthday cake, and I'm going to try it in a cupcake tin for the first time. You will not regret making this cake!
OMG!!! My family has fallen in love with this cake. I added a chocolate ameretto glaze drizzled over the top and served with fresh whip cream - WOW!! thank you for this recipe!!
What a delicious recipe!!! I made it for family and friends then I made another one for workmates and it was a huge success! Thanks so much for the recipe!!