Prep 25 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is an older recipe from Bon Appetite Magazine December 1985 issue.
- 3⁄4 cup amaretti cookie, ground fine
- 2⁄3 cup chopped finely almonds
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate or 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- To make crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Combine cookies almonds, sugar flour and salt in a processor, and while running pour in the melted butter just until all combined. This of course can also be done in a large bowl with a fork.
- Press into a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool crust completely.
- To prepare filling:.
- Melt the chocolate in a large bowl over gently simmering water and stir until smooth. Remove from heat Beat in egg yolks, the mixture may bind at this point. Use a electric mixer to beat and unbind adding in the amaretto, and vanilla it will smooth out.
- Beat egg whites with clean beaters adding a tablespoon white sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the whites into chocolate batter.
- Beat now whipping cream with the final 1 tablespoon white sugar and beat until stiff.
- Fold 1 and 1/2 cups whipped cream into the chocolate batter.
- Spoon filling into the cooled pie crust, cover and refrigerate until serving at least 6 hours. This can be prepared one day ahead.
- Upon serving take the remaining whipped cream and pipe over top if desired.
- Serve with fresh strawberries as a garnish.