Recipe by twissis
This was posted to accompany my "Chocolate Amaretti Peaches" recipe. Recipe source is my "CHOCOLATE" cookbook by Christine McFadden & Christine France.
Top Review by carjofarmer
Thank you for this recipe. We have enjoyed it for two years now at the holidays. It's so much healthier than most Christmas cookies. I used a Kitchenaide upright mixer instead of a handheld mixer and the cookies turned out beautifully.
- 1 cup whole almond (blanched)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- slivered almonds, to decorate (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place almonds on a sml baking sheet & bake 10-12 minutes, turning occ till golden brown. Allow almonds to cool to room temperature Reduce oven temp to 325°F.
- Line a lrg baking sheet w/baking parchment. In a food processor, process the toasted almonds w/half the sugar till the almonds are finely ground but not oily.
- Transfer the ground almonds to a bowl & stir in cocoa powder & confectioner's sugar. Set aside.
- In a med mixing bowl, beat egg whites & cream of tartar w/a hand-held mixer till stiff peaks form.
- Sprinkle in the remaining sugar 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after ea addition & cont beating till the whites are glossy & stiff. Beat in the almond extract.
- Add the almond sugar mixture & gently fold into the beaten egg whites till just blended.
- Spoon the mixture into a lrg piping bag filled w/a plain 1/2 in nozzle. Pipe 1 1/2 in rounds about 1 in apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press a slivered almond into the center of ea cookie.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes or till they are crisp. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- W/a metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. When cool, store in an airtight jar or cookie tin.