Recipe by Pets'R'us
This is a delicious cake, from Rachel's Food For Living. Rachel gives 35 minutes baking time in her book, it takes a bit longer in my oven.
Top Review by bluefeet
This is so easy make and so impressive.Divine! I served it with a chantilly cream. It is a perfect dessert for a dinner party as it can be made a day or two in advance.Thanks Rachel.
- 150 g good dark chocolate (at least 55% cocoa solids, preferably 70%)
- 50 g amaretti (biscuits)
- 100 g sliced almonds
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 orange, zest of, finely grated
- 100 g butter, cubed
- 4 eggs, beaten
- cocoa powder or icing sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Line the base of a 20cm-diameter springform tin with greaseproof paper and butter the sides.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Place the amaretti biscuits, almonds, sugar and orange zest in a food processor, then whizz until the biscuits and almonds are almost finely ground .(not too fine).
- Add the butter and eggs, whizz until blended, then add the melted chocolate and briefly whizz again until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and pop straight in the oven.
- Cook for 35-45 minutes until the cake is puffed and slightly cracked around the edges.( test with a skewer after 35 minutes, it should come out clean)
- Remove and leave to sit for 15 minutes before carefully transferring to a plate.
- The top is quite crisp, and cracks easily, dust it with lots of icing sugar or cocoa powder before serving, to hide any imperfections.