Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This makes a not-too-sweet quickbread that is a perfect snack with a cup of coffee or tea. Also nice for breakfast with a dab of butter.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup salad oil
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup almonds, thinly sliced or slivers
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F Oil two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Beat eggs until lemon-colored.
- Add sugar and oil, and beat just until well incorporated.
- Melt chocolate in a pan over hot water.
- Cool slightly, then stir into the egg mixture.
- Add vanilla and zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add this to the zucchini mixture and stir well.
- Add the almonds and stir until the batter is completely mixed.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two loaf pans.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes away cleanly.
- Cool in pans 20 minutes, then turn out onto a rack.
- Cool thoroughly before slicing.
Very enjoyable! You could definately smell the chocolate as it baked - but was not as sweet as a cake. The zucchinni taste was mild. I believe this was healthy as well as tasty. Thanks for a good bread.
This is very good!! The description of this bread was perfect. It is "not too sweet". The chocolate flavor is mild, not overpowering. The bread is moist and was perfect as a snack with a cup of coffee. I made mine in 8" loaf pans, they were done after exactly 1 hour and 10 mins as the recipe reads. I did not include the almonds as my DH can not eat nuts but the bread is awesome and we will be making it again! Thanks for the recipe!! Renee