Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've been saving this since 1997 from McCall's magazine. There are 9 Passover recipes in it. The menu they gave is Gefilte Fish (no recipe), Chicken Soup With Matzo Balls, Mixed Green Salad (no recipe), Stuffed Tarragon Roast Capon With Rich Pan Gravy, Matzo Walnut and Mushroom Stuffing, Roasted Tzimmes, Asparagus With Lemon and Mint, Chocolate-Almond Torte With Strawberry Sauce, and Assorted Macaroons. One of these days I may get this made but for safe keeping I'm saving it here.
- 1 cup whole natural almonds, toasted and cooled
- 3⁄4 cup matzo meal
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pint strawberry, hulled and sliced
- fresh strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- fresh raspberry, for garnish (optional)
- kosher confectioners' sugar (see Note)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil 9-in. springform pan. In food processor, finely grind almonds, matzo cake meal and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer on high speed, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar until pale and thick, about 4 minutes. With mixer on low speed, beat in zest, juice and vanilla.
- In large bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar; beat until stiff, shiny peaks form.
- Stir almond mixture into egg-yolk mixture. Fold in egg-white mixture and chocolate until no white streaks remain. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Run knife around edges of cake to loosen; remove pan sides. Let cool completely.
- In blender or food processor, process raspberries in syrup and the sugar until smooth. With spatula, press through fine-mesh sieve. Stir in sliced berries.
- To serve:.
- Garnish with small fresh strawberries and fresh raspberries; dust lightly with kosher confectioners' sugar, if desired. Serve sauce on the side.
- To make kosher confectioners' sugar, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons potato starch in blender or food processor. Process 2 minutes or until powdery.