Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A rich and flourless chocolate treat that will surely impress your guests.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- sliced almonds, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 10-inch cake pan, flour the sides and line the base with baking paper.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Let cool a little.
- Combine egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar and beat until the mixture turns pale yellow.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff, adding 1 1/2 tbsp sugar halfway through, and then set aside.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the warm melted chocolate and mix well; gently fold in cornstarch, ground almonds and cocoa powder.
- Using a spatula, fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites until well blended.
- Pour batter into the buttered cake pan.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake at 400 degrees for two minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Remove from cake pan and serve at room temperature.
- Can be stored, wrapped well for two to three days in the refrigerator.