Don't be put off by the number of ingredients and stages, it isn't really all that difficult and the results really are worth the effort. :)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Blind back the Pastry in a 10” flan tin for 10mins. Making sure to prick it all over first so that it doesn’t rise. Use baking beans if you have them or rice works well too.
- Soften Butter in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk in 75g Sugar until pale in colour.
- Whisk in Egg Yolks and one whole Egg. Keep egg whites in a perfectly clean separate bowl for later.
- Add Vanilla extract to Milk and stir into butter and sugar mixture.
- Sift Cocoa with Almond Flour into the mix and continue to whisk.
- Pour mixture, which should feel a little grainy in texture, into the pastry case and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the tart is cooked through.
- While the tart is baking, whisk the Egg Whites with a pinch of salt until stiff to make meringue.
- Whisk in Cider Vinegar and slowly add the rest of the Sugar, whisking all the time.
- Ten minutes before the end of cooking time, top the tart with the meringue and continue cooking until the meringue is lightly golden.
- Sprinkle with toasted Almonds to finish.