A tradition Gelato easily made at home using the traditional French method for Praline. This is my own recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a MixMaster, Or food processor with the whisk attachement(Preferably mix master) Add the egg yolks and 115g of the caster sugar, mix until light and fluffy.
- 2Add the cream and milk to a small saucepan along with the vanilla paste, Place it on a low-medium heat until it simmers, it should take 3-4 minutes, Stir occasionally.
- 3While whipping the eggs, Slowly pour in 1tbsp of the boiling cream mix at a time, It will thicken slightly,
- 4When it is all combined pour it back into the saucepan and simmer on a low heat until it starts to boil, Small lumps will begin to form, this is the egg yolk. Remove it from the heat and pour it back into the mixer
- 5Blend on the highest speed for 2 minutes, This will whip in air, and break any clumps of egg and turn it into a smooth custard texture.
- 6While the Custard mix is whipping, Melt the chocolate in a microwave for 1min at 80% power, take it out and stir it, you may need to do this one or two more times until it is completely smooth, Be careful not to let it burn.
- 7While still mixing the custard, slowly pour in the chocolate and blend for one more minute.
- 8Cover the mixing bowl in cling film then place it in the freezer.
- 9Cook the almonds in the oven for 5 minutes at 150C, Dont let them burn Then place them on nonstick paper and roughly chop them.
- 10In a small nonstick frying pan, Add the remaining 50g of caster sugar, and 50ml of water, Place on a small burner with high heat,
- 11This is best measured using a candy or meat themometer, Failing that common sense will work.
- 12Stir the mixture as the sugar dissolves, The temperature will steadily rise to 100C, It will then stall as the water boils out, It will then quickly rise again.
- 13it will start to brown around the edges, stir gently, after 1 more minute when the sugar should hit 155C remove it from the heat, it should be a uniform caramel brown colour, pour it over the chopped nuts and let it cool and harden for 20 minutes.
- 14Lightly dice the sugar mix and then put it in the food processor, Traditionally Praline is a very fine powder, Personally for this recipe I like a mix of fine powder with a few small chunks of almonds and toffee, The difference is just in how long you blend it for.
- 15Remove the Ice cream from the freezer and mix in the chopped nuts, and 1tbsp of Almond Liquer, Mix thouroughly and return to the freezer.
- 16Every hour for the next 6 hours you will need to remove it from the freezer, blend it with a whisk (Or whisk attachment) This breaks up any ice crystals forming and makes the mixture light and smooth.
- 17After the 6 hours it should nearly be solid, scoop it into airtight containers and place it in the freezer for 4 more hours, this keeps for about a month.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Almond Praline Gelato
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 517.8
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 196.1 mg
- Sodium 97.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 49.5 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla bean paste