Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Another treasure found in a Toll House Booklet I've had since 1990. Just a nice flavorful pound cake. This is great served with fresh strawberries on top when in season.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter until creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in sour cream and almond extract.
- Gradually blend in flour mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with slivered almonds on top of batter.
- Bake for 70 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes, then turn out from pan and cool completely.
- (I love serving this with fresh sliced strawberries or raspberries on top).