My sister gave this to me many years ago, and I experiment with it.. I LOVE CHOCOLATE! I add the maple syrup, and usually i use organic flours (pastry flour and buckwheat misture which you can do also...makes it heartieer if you use 1/4 cup of buckwheat flour with 1 1/4 cups pastry flour, or regular alll purpose flour). If you do that you might need to add a bit more milk to get the right consistency. The recipe is my baseline, and I just go with it.... (sometimes I add 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, for a hint of the exotic, but not obvious and overpowering). It is valentine's day today and I will be making them later tonight, serving them on special little plates with a paper doily (sp?) lining the plate. Add red sugar around each muffin atop the doioly for a very nice presentation!
My Private Note
12 muff ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk (use 1 cup milk if you add buckwheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour (You can use 1/4 cup buckwheat -- 1 1/4 cup all purpose)
- 3/4 cup cocoa (I like organic)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like organic)
- 1/2 cup nuts, is optional (walnuts or pecans)
- 11. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin pan (I use butter, you can use spray, if you like.).
- 22. Melt butter until soft. (in oven, microwave, or in a small pyrex bowl on the coffee pot warming element. if it's already warm -- but warning those coffee makers really eat the energy/electricity).
- 3Add the almond and vanilla extract together with the butter while it's melting for a heavenly scent, adding maple syrup; this allows inredients to infuse, enhancing flavors.
- 43. Once melted, add eggs and milk (All wet ingredients).
- 54. In separate mixing bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder,salt.
- 65. Pour dry into wet ingredients, mixing gradually. (Don't forget the eggs if you have the butter, maple syrup, and extracts melted together on their own).
- 76. Fill each muffin holder to about 3/4. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes, testing with toothpick. (My oven is more efficient than my sisters, so do test)
- 87. Once done, leave in muffin tin for at least 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Almond Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.2
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.3 mg
- Sodium 487.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 33.0 g
- Protein 11.0 g