- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix, with pudding
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 15x10x1inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Line bottom of pan with waxed paper and spray it also.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package using water, oil and eggs.
- Pour batter into prepared paper-lined pan.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, or until done.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto wire rack, remove pan and paper.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile melt chocolate.
- Stir in almond extract and cool completely.
- Fold cooled chocolate into whipped cream.
- Trim edges of cake.
- Cut cake lengthwise into two long layers.
- Place one layer on serving platter.
- Spread with 1/3 of mousse.
- Repeat with remaining layer and 1/3 of the mousse.
- Place remaining mousse in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe border around bottom and top of cake.
- Decorate top of cake with mousse rosettes.
- Sprinkle top with toasted almonds.
- Store in refrigerator.