Recipe by looneytunesfan
Even though electric models make it easier, I still prefer to hand-crank ice cream.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 -7 unsweetened chocolate squares, melted (1 ounce each)
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds or 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for at least 2 minutes. In a large heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved; stir in chocolate until blended. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full with chilled custard; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Stir in toasted almonds. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.