Recipe by HokiesMom
From a Maxwell House pamphlet. This is so scrumptious. My coffee pot does not have a decanter/glass pot so I make this a bit different than how they stated. I've included both ways in case your coffee pot has an internal system instead of using a decanter.
- 1⁄4 cup ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup half-and-half (or you can use whole milk)
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
- whipped cream (optional)
- chocolate curls (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- IF YOU HAVE A SEPARATE DECANTER/GLASS POT: Place the coffee in the filter in the brew basket of the coffee maker. Place the sugar in the empty pot of the coffee maker. Prepare the coffee with the cold water. When the brewing is complete, stir in the almond extract until mixed well. Go to step 3.
- IF YOU HAVE AN INTERNAL SYSTEM, FOLLOW THESE: Place the ground coffee in the brew basket. Prepare the coffee with the cold water. Place the sugar in a medium-large saucepan or a glass pitcher. When the brewing is complete, pour the brewed coffee into the saucepan with the sugar and add the almond extract and stir until well mixed.
- STEP 3: Microwave the half-and-half and chocolate in a medium microwavable bowl on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Stir this into the brewed flavored coffee (if using the saucepan) or add the coffee to this bowl if using a decanter.
- Pour into large cups or mugs.
- If desired, top each serving with whipped cream and chocolate curls.
- Serve immediately.