Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was originally published as a chocolate-mint cheesecake in Cooking Pleasures Magazine, but I don't like mint at all, so I just subbed almond extract for the mint. If you want a chocolate-mint one (or, for that matter, one made with any other extract), just sub in the extract at the appropriate time. NOTE: Cooking time includes cooking and cooling time to MAKE the cake, but does not include 6 hours refrigeration after all is done.
- 1 (9 ounce) box chocolate cookie crumbs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 350°F Wrap bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan with wide heavy-duty foil. In medium bowl, stir together cookie crumbs and melted butter until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press evenly into bottom and 1 inch up sides of pan. Bake 6-8 minutes or until set; cool on wire rack.
- Place 6 oz. chopped chocolate in medium heatproof bowl; place over saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until chocolate is smooth and melted; remove bowl from saucepan.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar at low speed until smooth. Beat in flour. Beat in 2 of the eggs just until combined; repeat with remaining 2 eggs. Scrape down sides of bowl. Beat in sour cream and vanilla just until blended.
- Reserve 2 C batter in another medium bowl; stir in 1 t almond extract.
- Stir melted chocolate into batter in large bowl until completely blended; pour into crust. Place pan in large shallow roasting or broiler pan. Fill with hot tap water halfway up sides of springform pan.
- Bake 35 minutes. Carefully slide out oven rack several inches. Pour reserved almond batter evenly over cheesecake. Bake 25 minutes or until edges are puffed and top is dry to the touch. Remove cake from water bath; remove foil. Place on wire rack; cool for about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place 6 oz finely chopped chocolate in another large bowl. Place cream, 2 T butter and corny syrup in heavy medium saucepan; heat over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until hot. Remove saucepan from heat as soon as first bubble appears; pour over chocolate. Let stand 1 minute to soften; stir until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted. Stir in 1/2 t almond extract. Cool to room temperature. Pour glaze over cooled cheesecake in pan, spreading evenly over top. Refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.